Friday, July 27, 2012

It's not you, it's me!

Dear Africa,

I want to apologize for complaining about your inefficiencies and turning into such a micro-managers always breathing down your neck (yet still not achieving as much as I'd like).  This week, I realized -- the problem is not you, it's me.  I have failed to understand how you think, how you work, and how you are motivated so that I communicate in the manner you can relate/understand.  Specifically, 

  • I show you the big picture and then immediately demand that you aggressively work towards achieving visible results; however, I did not take into consideration that what may seem like a small step based on my experience may actually be a big, scary leap for you. To feel confident to take action, you need to be shown the stepping stones to get to the other side, receive reassurance that it will be OK, and time to get comfortable; otherwise, you will feel overwhelmed and paralyzed.
  • I expect you to connect the dots, think critically, and question existing conditions; however, I did not realize that it's not something you are accustomed to doing growing up.  I need to create opportunities where you can take leadership roles and be encouraged to do more than taking orders; only through actual experiences can you build confidence, become empowered, and appreciate your ability to influence your environment.
  • I have been impatient and want to do everything NOW; however, time is what's required for new thoughts and habits to set in, and no amount of extra effort and push can substitute for time.  As Warren Buffet famously put, you can't have a baby in 1 month if you get 9 women pregnant.
  • I get frustrated when you can't understand what I'm saying, without realizing the issue may actually be that I've failed to communicate clearly and simply.  It is not fair to expect you to have perfect English comprehension (or always think with logic), after all, I'm in your country, not the other way around.
  • I did not understand that the solution to the problem may not always be a straight path with a clearly defined timeline, sometimes, it's important to put the players in their right position to help shape the situation into a favorable environment, wait for the perfect moment, then strike.
  • I am quick to "tell you" the solution rather than allowing time, seeding ideas, and allowing you the time to think through the problem yourself.  I am so eager to tell you what I know that I forget what I know is irrelevant until it becomes what you know as well.  You deserve the time and this is the only way you can understand and truly absorb the knowledge.
  • I expected focus to come intrinsically and have not taken the time to put down tight management routines and align the incentives.  These things are critical so you can be effective and be held accountable.
  • I have not keep my radar up and look for patterns and irregularities so I can figure out a way to handle bad behaviors appropriately; this encourages continued corrupt practices, and I actually become a culprit (even if unknowingly)
We're going to interact a bit differently from now on so that hopefully thing will not be as frustrating for the both of us anymore.  Let's make the continent to a better place together.

Sincerely yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment