Monday, April 2, 2012

Donation Update: Introducing...Kianda Vision Computer Center

This is a much delayed update, but back in February, my friend Freddy and I have registered the computer center project under the name "Kianda Vision Computer Center".  Now we've purchased a 10 x 10 space in Kibera slum and am currently remodeling the place into a neighborhood computer center that will offer computer class to youths so they can gain the skills that will be helpful for them to get jobs.

I can't really take much credit for this project at all because with all my crazy travel, Freddy has been taking care of most of the logistics.  However, I'm excited to report that with the business model we've put together, this center likely can be self-sustaining with the donation everyone has made covering the upfront fixed cost.  We're still a bit short on a few things, so if anyone is interested in providing more assistance, please let me know!

Here are a list of things we need:

  • Old laptop, mouse, printers...etc. (I can collect these and bring back this summer)
  • Software: MS office, anti-virus...etc.
  • ...or you can click on the link to the right and donate some good old $$$, which can help contribute for our expansion and other necessary construction materials



1 comment:

  1. Glad to see this is coming through! I have an old laser printer (maybe 5 years old?) that you can take if you know how to transport it. Also, with respect to software, OpenOffice is a great free software alternative to MS Office and is almost identical in functionality.

    ReplyDelete