Sunday, August 28, 2011

All Settled In!!

After 30+ hours, I finally got to Nairobi late 8/27 (sat) evening. Thomas, the company driver, picked me up. He's a 37 year old Kenyan who's got a big smile on his face and apparently has laughing as a default reaction no matter he's angry, frustrated, or actually happy - what a nice trait! He used to be a safari guide for 10 years, and got recruited by d.light just 3 months ago. He said that everyone at the office jokes a lot and are like families...also, my boss talk and walk like Mr. Bean...He also said that he thought I was going to be militant like and serious from my name, but was surprised that I am nice, happy and laughs with him...I found this kind of funny, and tried to set the expectation that I AM a serious person, he laughed hard and didn't believe me...I'm looking forward to work on Monday now :-)

I am staying at this super cute renovated 19th century cottage in the Kileleshwa area nearby where the Kenyan President lives for 70,000 ksh (roughly $750) a month....It's gated with 24 hour security and housekeeping service during the week. The unit is very quiet and private, I have my own gated yard and the house is locked from the inside. It's also very spacious, probably the largest space I've ever occupied for myself during my history of renting!

My favorite part so far has to have to be (1) hot water (2) electricity + plenty of lights (3) relatively reliable internet (4) my own little yard (I'll need to take advantage of this with the gorgeous weather here) (5) an oven in the kitchen! hopefully I'll have some opportunity to bake!

  

  

  

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice...I'm glad u got there safe. Looking forward to read more about your experience in kenya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh is cute and I saw that you are on skype :) keep posting Arlin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. Reminds me of the few movies I've seen with Africa in it. Love your backyard. Looking forward to more updates on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I especially like how the couch looks very comfrotable...like a guest could sleep on there a few nights... ;p. Kudos on your new adventure, enjoy and good luck! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlin, this looks awesome! Glad to see you have made it safely. Look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to AFRICA Arlin!! I know it will treat you well!! What are some of the foods you have had already? I can't wait to hear how it is going! Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you arrive safely. Your place looks cute. :)

    ReplyDelete