Friday, November 11, 2011

"Proper" address...

Went to Nyayo house in Nairobi to take care of my multiple business visa...this is our 5th or 6th visit...every time they tell us we need a new back up document even though they were not specified on the requirement before...so finally this time, I show my face, the lady look at my application probably for the 5th time...and she said, everything is OK, but your residential address (which I put down my California address, with the street number, name, state, and postal code, typical) is a problem...for example, if I want to get to your address, how do I get there?

In order to understand where this question even came from, one must understand, there's not a postal service that delivers mail in Kenya...everyone rents a PO box, and pick up their mail from the post office...so when you need to get to a physical address, usually it's provided by a series of unclear directions...like 500m pass Tusky's supermarket on X road OR on the 5th black gate on Y road pass Z shop directly across from ABC billboard...etc.

While I understand why she may be confused with my "physical address", I was annoyed by the fact that this is the first time after she's reviewed my application 5 times that she is bringing this up.  Also, the immigration officer at the Nairobi International Airport was fine with it, why is she picking bone with the address...Lastly, will she EVER need to visit my home in California?  Do I really need to write down, first, take flight from NBO to LAX, then take 101 highway to 91 highway, exit X road, then drive x miles...etc.?  Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment