Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fried tilapia (minus chips) from "McFry" for 150ksh


This is a staple diet for my coworkers...was super hungry after running some errands with co-worker Thomas...so we went to "McFry", which sells freshly fried tilapias for dinner takeaway (that's British for take outs)...I opted out the chips from the combo...it's yummy, and I can totally see its place in the Minnesota State Fair, the only thing missing is putting it on a stick!

On the way back to our car, I asked Thomas, do people think I'm Chinese or Japanese when they see my face?  (I asked because my Kenyan friends are always asking me how much things are in Japan, but I don't live there! or, they'll ask, does this supermarket remind you of China?  but I'm not from China!  I'm from Taiwan/US.)...Before Thomas answered, some guys walked by us, and said "Chinese girl, Japanese girl, doesn't matter, just a beautiful girl!"... I am glad that they do not discriminate between Chinese and Japanese, but I wasn't sure if I should be flattered, or be a bit concerned/embarrassed that our private conversation just suddenly become a public discussion.

This brought us to another topic, apparently in Kenya, especially in the city, it's "hip" to have a foreign girlfriend.  If a Kenyan guy is seen with a foreign girl, he'll be the envy of all the other guys...they will be wondering, "how were you able to capture the heart of a foreign girl?  what trick do you have?"... and, the belief is that, the love between the Kenyan man and a foreign girl is firmer than with a Kenyan girl...maybe because the foreign girl is more rare, so they will treasure her more...but still, sounds pretty messed up to me! facination does not equal love.

1 comment: