Thursday, September 29, 2011

My new puppy friend - Bozo!


It's been 4 weeks now that I've lived in my current place, and the guard dog is getting real friendly.  He runs over and greets me every time I come home, which is super cute, and he's beginning to feel OK following me into my tiny little yard.  I'm probably one of few people who actually "pets" him.  Maybe that's why he likes me :) --> (update, the guard tells me the dog liks Mzungus and hates Kenyans...so I guess he likes me cuz I'm fair-skinned, what a racist, but still very cute!)

The concept of having dogs as pets does not seem to be very wide spread here.  From what I can observe, dogs fall under 3 categories: (1) street dogs (2) guard dogs in secured complex (3) given the presence of dog food on the shelf of supermarkets, maybe a small percentage of them become pets of the super wealthy/expats/westernized people.

Most of the guard dogs need to earn their keep and eats leftovers.  They are working dogs, not pets.  Mine gets locked up behind a fence during the day, and is let out during the night.  He basically peak out from underneath the main gate to make sure no one tries to get in.  This is such a huge contrast compare to the US and even Taiwan where dogs are treated like kings!  I bought him some treat today after work, the concept of a treat must be so foreign that he wasn't really sure what to do with it, it was very cute/funny.  

2 comments:

  1. Bah, cute! (And 頼もしい!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww .. sad! You should buy him more treats!

    ReplyDelete