Friday, September 16, 2011

I am a "bountiful cow"...

Last May during my visit to Maasai Mara, I was given a Maasai name "Nalepo" by the boys who guarded our camp.  It was explained to me that Nalepo means "the wealthy one", which make sense, because supposedly my friends got names that meant "the eager one (nashyoku)" and "the loved one (nashyopei)".

This September, the truth came out.  Our office night guard Silantoi is a Maasai, so I told him my Maasai name, he laughed, and I asked him, what does it mean?  Apparently, it means a bountiful cow...I suppose it's somewhat related to being full of wealth, except, I'm the one being milked vs. bringing in the milk!  No wonder there was a lot of giggle that night when the Maasai boys named us in the camp...

Now every morning, Silantoi greets me with my Maasai name...it doesn't feel so nice anymore...I want a new Maasai name...moooo~

No comments:

Post a Comment